Joe Risser CPCU, ARM-P
Design Leader, Risk Management Design
This online course is designed for people who are directly responsible for planning and managing all aspects of Special Events. The primary goal of the course is to provide event planners with the knowledge and skills needed to manage the challenging task of running Special Events — large and small.
Special Events have transformed into a big issue for many University and Parks & Recreation Administrators. This course will focus on a simple process, techniques and tools to assess and manage the complex risks involved in planning, organizing and running Special Events. While the course is aimed primarily at staff new to special event planning, seasoned planners will especially benefit from the hands-on exercises included in the course.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will learn how to:
1. Develop a simple framework to effectively manage Special Events.
2. Learn how to apply risk management for Special Events
3. Identify and evaluate risks specific to an event.
4. Avoid, control and share the risks of Special Events.
5. Develop emergency response plans for your events.
6. Understand the role of insurance for Special Events
This is a 4 week course. Course work and assignments should take approximately 5-7 hours per week.
- Online format means students work at their own speed, in their own time
- Webinars used to deliver online ‘lectures’
- Small class size maximizes class interactions
- Course participants establish a network with colleagues from across North America
- Results-oriented assignments are based on real events
- ‘Certificate of Completion’ issued to all participants who successfully complete the course.
- One (1) CEU credit available through the NIRSA Registry!
Managing Special Event Risks: 10 Steps to Safety, 2nd Edition, Melanie Lockwood Herman and Joe Risser. Nonprofit Risk Management Center, 2009.
Text can be downloaded directly from website: Cost is $20
Who is Course aimed at?
The course is aimed at full time professional staff who are new to special event planning or staff who are seeking ways to improve and better manage their current events. There will be extensive networking opportunities, with ‘real’ project assignments being geared towards issues specific to your campus and your event.
Maximum course registration: 16
Next Course: dates TBA
Register now to secure your place.
To register: click on ‘Add to Cart’ and pay for course through PayPal.
Course Fee: $475
To get more information contact Ian McGregor directly at email@example.com