Concussions Training Package
(To review the full movie contact us at: email@example.com)
Concussions pose a significant threat and challenge for Collegiate Recreation and Varsity programs.
For Collegiate Recreation, the absence of an Athletic Trainer (AT), especially for Sport Clubs, means that many concussions go undetected and even worse, participants often remain in the game after sustaining a concussion – risking a second and sometimes fatal concussion.
For Varsity Athletics, a key issue is that despite the presence of an AT, athletes don’t want to leave the field of play (tough it out!) – and coaches don’t want to lose a player. And both don’t fully understand the seriousness of concussions.
For Varsity Athletics, athletes need to accept that taking themselves out of the game is not a sign of weakness.
So realistically, the best approach is to do the following:
- Increase concussion awareness for everyone (e.g. participants, staff).
- Provide additional training in concussion recognition and response – for key people (e.g. Sport Clubs coaches & safety officers; Intramural referees; full-time Recreation staff).
- Note – subscription is unlimited use for 12 months: i.e. no limit on number of people who can watch the videos, access the written materials!
- Increase concussion awareness (varsity athletes, coaches, staff).
- Focus on removing stigma around athletes getting their ‘bell wrung’.
- Train everyone on their responsibility to the team through recognizing and acting on a suspected concussion.
Introducing the ‘SportRisk Concussion Training Package’
Resources included in the package:
1. Education & Awareness Training
Animated Video (7 min): Quiz embedded at end of video provides participant tracking (online implementation). See sample below of downloadable spreadsheet.
Written Materials: General information on concussion
2. Recognition & Response Training
Animated Video (8 min): Quiz incorporated at end of video provides participant tracking (online implementation)
Written Materials: Additional information on concussions
Concussion Recognition Tool
3. Education & Awareness Training for Varsity Athletes
Similar material to #1 above but focusing on athlete, coach and team responsibility
Includes participant tracking.
Possible Implementation Strategies:
Advantages: Easy set up & administration; allows easy participant tracking.
Advantages: Allows interaction, questions
Disadvantages: Time-consuming to implement; no participant tracking.
How it Works for Administrators:
Upon registration, administrators receive instructions on how to proceed. Essentially, these instructions are then forwarded to email lists (e.g. Sport Clubs participants) asking them to read the materials, watch the movie, answer and submit the quiz at the end of the movie.
Administrators also receive instructions on how to access the data showing who has completed the training.
Annual Subscription Fee: $595 (all 3 videos)
Key Features of ‘Concussions Training Package’
‘Education & Awareness‘ training module aimed at everyone (all participants and staff).
‘Recognition & Response‘ module provides more advanced training for key people (you determine who!)
Tracking Tool (quiz) embedded into videos, allowing you to easily verify who has successfully completed the training. Click here to find out more about the custom tracking tool.
Annual subscription covers whole department – no caps on number of people who can watch videos, take training, access educational materials.
Materials are specific and unique to Collegiate Athletics & Recreation!